Not sure what to do with your worn out running shoes? Don’t throw them away! There are many opportunities to recycling them. When they are still in decent shape, they can be given to people in need. Totally trashed shoes can still be broken down and turned into various products, like rubber playground surfacing. Here are the options in the Tahoe area, as well as some a bit farther away, for our members that live outside the area.
- At the Truckee Community Recreation Center, there is a shoe recycling/reuse box at the top of the stair on the upper level (track, workout area) at the Truckee Rec Center. You can drop shoes in there.
- The Reno Running Company at the Eclipse Running store.
- Auburn Aid Station. They take shoes in any shape.
- Sports Basement locations in the Bay Area take shoes, as well as other products, like tennis balls, natural cork, batteries (Alkaline & Lithium), crayons, and propane canisters (depending on the location)
- In early 2024, Creekside School will be accepting gently worn shoes as a fundraiser. They receive $10 for every 25 shoes collected, and the shoes go to entrepreneurs in Africa.
Note that it’s always a good idea to check with the store/program before you make the trip because things do change!