What’s the best gift idea for the runners on your holiday shopping list? Other than the obvious (DPMR gear or a DPMR membership!), the DPMR board members offer their ideas for this month’s Ask the Board article.
Angela Stark: For holiday gifts for runners:
- who doesn’t love a nice pair of goodr glasses?
- arm warmers, like the Oiselle Lux Armwarmers (one of my favorite accessories ever)
- and I love my Oiselle runner trucker hats!
(note that Oiselle is currently having a site wide 40% off sale with code FESTIVE40)
Kathy Hess-Slocum: My favorite recovery sandals: https://www.oofos.com
Renee Elsdon Jacobs: Run Fast. Eat Slow. or any of the other cookbooks by Shalane Flanagan and Elyse Kopecky. And for the female runners, Kula Cloth from Gossamer Gear! It’s a must-have on my long runs and adventures. And, now that’s it’s winter, I’m really digging my gloves with an integrated waterproof mitten shell, like the Oiselle Bad Weather Gloves, Smartwool Merino Sport Fleece Wind Mitten, and Ultimate Direction Ultra Flip Glove. The lightweight Salomon Bonatti Waterproof Mitten Shell is also awesome because it turns any regular glove into a mitten with a flap for finger access, and can be removed if conditions change. And, a critical element in my solo, multi-day adventures, my super tiny Leatherman with scissors.
Jack Macy: Here’s a few gift ideas for runners…
- Off-season activities and training – gift certificate for XC skiing pass or a backcountry skiing course/Avalanche education course.
- Running mittens for extra cold winter mornings. I like these from Inov8 since they are lightweight, warm, and come with a leash to slip around your wrist.
- Planning ahead for summer adventures – consider fastpacking gear. Backpack – Food/Bear Bag – Bivvy Sack
Chris Cloyd: Going with gifts that aren’t physical things:
Need more ideas? Check out our 2021 Gift Ideas