Donner Party Mountain Runners: We exist to inform, inspire and connect mountain runners in Truckee-Tahoe.
Let’s take a minute to talk about one of those ideals: To Connect. I think we can all agree that things are pretty rough right now. We’re unsettled, unsure, anxious and maybe even afraid. We’re being told to keep our distance from each other, which in essence means to disconnect– to disconnect from many of the folks and things that mean home to us living in our small mountain community. But arguably what we share is more powerful than what keeps us apart. The more we can come together to solve our problems, the better off we will all be.
• Our local businesses are being especially hard hit right now. Employees are being let go and many of the restaurants and shops that serve us may be forced to close. Please consider shopping locally whenever possible. That new pair of trail shoes, gear or nutrition that you may sometimes order on-line? It’s a fair bet that you can source or order those same items from one of the great outdoor shops that serve our Truckee-Tahoe area. Give them a call for over-the-phone ordering or to buy a gift card for future purchases. Alpenglow Sports in Tahoe City and Tahoe Mountain Sports in Truckee have contributed to our programming from day 1 and both stores are open for online business and over-the-phone service. The same is true for our coffee roasters, restaurants and breweries. Let’s support those businesses that have long supported us as a club and a community.
• Many of us have already had spring and summer races postponed or canceled due to the Covid-19 pandemic orders. If possible, some races are offering partial refunds, rollovers or credits. Some races are not. If you are able, consider your race entry a donation. Know that long before a race takes place your entry fee has already been spent on permits, swag, equipment, food etc. Many Race Directors run small businesses of one or two people and will be crippled financially by this pandemic. In order for these events that we love to take place in the future, we all might have to chip in a bit.
• Please consider the risk of your backcountry adventures before you head out. Know that an emergency call to a Search and Rescue team is likely taking first responders and medical resources away from those needing treatment for Covid-19 as well as exposing our community to more potential risk. Get outside but do so responsibly, follow social distancing guidelines and for everyone’s safety keep those adventures close to home.
• Thank all of those that are on the front lines of fighting this pandemic: the medical professionals and first responders that are our DPMR members, friends and family. The current stay-at-home orders may certainly be cramping our get-outside style but these are the current heroes that keep showing up in the daily battle to protect our community’s health and safety. The gratitude well is deep on this one.
• Most importantly, many in our community are heading for rough times during this pandemic. This virus and subsequent shutdowns have affected many both financially and emotionally. If anyone in our running family is in need of any extra resources or help of any kind, please reach out. We will figure this out together.
As runners we know that “endurance” means trusting that a high will follow our low. Like so many times that we’ve been challenged, we will get through this. Better together- and better connected.
Board President, Donner Party Mountain Runners
THANK YOU FIRST RESPONDERS: Several of the many first responders and medical professionals from our running community that are working to keep us safe: