After a successful GPS education workshop last summer, it is clear that there is a hunger to gain education about back country trip planning and navigation. This year, DPMR and Lift Workspace teamed up again to host another free workshop, focusing this time on the planning end of things, using Caltopo.com. Renee Jacobs (wife of Caltopo.com founder and owner, Matt Jacobs) led the presentation, covering such topics as:
- The system of maps and overlays as layers in Caltopo
- Adding and editing lines and markers
- Analyzing routes (mileage, profiles, and elevation gain/loss)
- Exporting gps and GeoJSON files
- Printing (geospatial) pdf maps
- Using the Caltopo beta app for navigation
- Using the free Avenza app to navigate using geospatial pdfs
- Exporting routes from Caltopo into gps devices (such as a Garmin watch)
Although the focus of the evening was the Pub-to-Pub run course, we also reviewed some of the other tools that are helpful in planning adventure runs and various other endeavors. Most of the tools on Caltopo.com are free to the general public, making it a valuable resource for trip planning!
Many, many thanks to Lift Workspace for donating the lavish and well-appointed conference room. Thanks also to Lift and Fifty Fifty for donating beers and our own DPMR board member Carol Lindsay for pulling a delicious, generous buffet together. A pdf of the presentation can be downloaded here: Caltopo Workshop Presentation_Oct2019.
As with most DPMR events, this workshop was free to all, but your support is much appreciated. You can join or donate here: Support DPMR! Stay tuned for additional great events brought to you by DPMR.