The Inaugural Donner Party Half Marathon & 10k took place on Saturday, July 14, 2018, and drew a great cross-section of runners from first-time trail racers to runners training for 100-mile races. This free event was a full race experience designed to introduce newer runners to the trail experience, and it seems that we did just that!
It started with a course designed by founding DPMR member and orienteering guru Greg Walker, on the generally mellow dirt roads north of Truckee at the Little Truckee Summit OHV area. Greg couldn’t resist throwing in some fun cross-country running and a technical challenge or two to keep it interesting.
We welcomed runners with varying levels of experience, for example:
- Men’s Half Marathon winner Steve Hammond helps direct the Broken Arrow Skyrace and design Spartan course.
- Father/daughter duo Frank and Isabel Perrott completed the Half and 10k, respectively. It was Isabel’s first trail race and Dad reports that she’s ready to take on more!
- A new-to-DPMR crew of friends joined us from Reno to try trail racing, who let us know: “You can’t beat free!”
- Dan Baxley used the Half Marathon as a warm-up for his longer run down the road on the Pacific Crest Trail. Dan is training for a 100-mile race in Utah next month.
- Ben Praker and his daughter Ryleigh helped prepare the aid station supplies the day before. Ben, who is recovering from knee surgery, ran the 10k. Ryleigh, along with Clara Castellar and DPMR Board Member Gretchen Brugman, staffed a fun aid station with a “Welcome to Night Vale” theme.
Overall, the event went smoothly, even if we did mis-mark part of the half marathon, shorting that run by about 2 miles. Our apologies for that gaff… but we know some of the finishers really appreciated finding the finish line and refreshments earlier than expected!
Runner Amber Ramos got a late start for the 10k, as her GPS took her on a bit of a wild goose chase. She finished the race in good form and was the lucky raffle winner of a pair of On Running shoes, complements of of Tahoe Mountain Sports in Truckee.
Please click here for a gallery of photos. (All photos below by Helen Pelster.)